The fierce wildfires have burned for over a week and have left (as of 16 Oct 17) 41 dead, 213 thousand acres torched, and 5,700 structures burned including wineries, wine-related businesses, and their employees homes. At the peak, 20 fires burned across Northern California and today there are still 15 separate fires burning. The largest fires are only 40-70% contained and Cal Fire is still expecting challenging conditions.
Even with the continued efforts to fight the fires, the rescue efforts across the region have started. Giving money is the most effective way to “ensure the right goods get to the right people at the right time following a disaster,” according to Cal Fire. Here are some great options:
- Napa Valley Community Foundation
- North Bay Fire Relief Fund (run by Redwood Credit Union)
- United Way of Wine Country
- Redwood Empire Food Bank
- California State Firefighter’s Association fund
- Napa Humane, Sonoma Humane Society and Marin Humane
- American Red Cross
If you have any questions about these or any other charity, please check them out on Charity Navigator.
This Week’s Schedule:
- Beer Thursday, 5-7p: Devils Backbone
- Wine Friday, 5-7p: Hauntedly Good Wines for Halloween
- Community Event, 5-9p: Fridays at the Fountain – Come on out, only two weeks left!
- Staff Pick Saturday, 2-6p: Staff Pick Tasting